Special Volunteer Needs
Habitat for Humanity is more than just building houses! We rely on our volunteers in many different ways to accomplish goals, strengthen the community, and supply more families with affordable housing. Whether it is on the construction site, in the office, or at the Habitat Store, we could use your help! Below is a list of our current seasonal needs and ways to get involved. You can also check out our ongoing volunteer opportunities on our Volunteer Homepage. If you're interested in one of the opportunites below, please contact the Volunteer Manager, or call the Habitat office at 434-293-9066 for more information.
Special Volunteer Needs:
1. Volunteer Receptionist - The planning and management required to build Habitat homes means we have a constant need for assistance in our office. Habitat is looking for committed volunteers willing to support our main office by acting as a receptionist answering phone calls, greeting walk-ins and supporting our daily office needs. We offer two shifts each weekday and are always looking for substitutes. Contact the Office Administrator or call 434-293-9066 to join our team!
2. Partner Family Advocate - Partner Family Advocates build relationships with the Partner Families and serve as a liaison between the family and the affiliate. Requiring an average of two hours per month, this position is both a key to Partner Family success and is one of our most rewarding volunteer activities. To learn more about this opportunity, please call the Habitat Office at 434-293-9066.
3. Furniture Assembly Specialist – Do you enjoy solving puzzles? Are you handy with a hammer? Savvy with a screwdriver? Here at the Store, we get lots of unassembled furniture, and are always looking for folks to help us put it together. We also occasionally receive donations that need some TLC – reattach legs, repair drawers, or restore a damaged piece. Even if you’re not very experienced, we have several regular volunteers that will be happy to work with you. For more information, contact the Store at 434-293-6331.
4. DIY Expert – Ready to try that crafty project you’ve been thinking of forever? We’re looking for folks who can turn our surplus or well-loved inventory into something fabulous! Meet other creative people, brush up on your artistic skills, and help Habitat build more homes! For more information, contact the Store at 434-293-6331.
5. Special Events Food Coordinator - Do you have some spare time on your hands and want to volunteer? Consider volunteering with the Family Services department! We are looking for a motivated volunteer to help coordinate our food orders, deliveries and pickups for our various meetings. The volunteer food coordinator will be in charge of ordering food and delivering the food to our meetings. You should expect to help out 2-3 hours per month normally between 4:30-5:30. Reliable transportation is a must! To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Family Services at 434-293-9066.
6. Data Entry Wizard - Love being on the computer? The Habitat Store needs someone to help keep track of contact info for volunteers and donors, log volunteer hours, and keep operations running smoothly. Previous database experience is not necessary, but basic computer skills are a must. Familiarity with Microsoft office and web browsers, as well as a positive work ethic and the capacity to follow complex directions, are key. For more information, contact the Store at 434-293-6331.