Fix Your Credit
Habitat sees many applications from local residents who look like excellent candidates to be Habitat homeowners, but they have burdensome credit problems.
In 2011, Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville began a new program – the Two Phase Qualification Process - to prepare certain credit-burdened families for successful home ownership in the Habitat program through the improvement of their credit and sound financial management.
Each year, we will work with a few families to improve their financial standing and help them move toward eligibility to become a Partner Family.
About the Two Phase Process Families who successfully complete the Two Phase Process will be guaranteed an opportunity to purchase a Habitat Home.
The steps toward home ownership in this program are as follows:
- Apply to the Habitat Program and be selected to the Two Phase Process Program.
- In the First Phase, team up with an assigned credit counselor for regular meetings and counseling.
- Meet as a team with the Assistant Director of Family Advancement to determine a plan of action and a timeline that includes at least four checkpoints. Each checkpoint is a goal that the family will need to meet, and includes paying off a percentage of collections & judgments and a reduction of debt.
- Upon completion of the last checkpoint goal, meet with the Assistant Director of Family Advancement in preparation for entering the next phase of the program.
- In the Second Phase, complete the Habitat homeowner program, including performing sweat equity, attending homebuyer education classes, saving for a down payment and submitting documents.
- Select a home for purchase.
For more information about the two phase qualification process, please email the Homeowner Services Manager, Kristen Lucas, or call her at (434) 293-9066.